From 1906 to 1963, the Pine Street Station continued to supply most of Grand Island's electric power. In 1957, the C. W. Burdick station located on South Cherry and Bischeld streets started to take over for the aging Pine Street Station and to meet Grand Island's growing demand for electricity. Continued increases in electrical use and limited supplies of natural gas and oil forced the city to build another power plant.
In 2017 the C. W. Burdick station was decommissioned. The demolition and removal process is expected to be complete by the year 2022.